Sunday, November 10, 2013

Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability, funny movies with dogs on speed?

I am a huge X-Files fan, so when I heard they were making a movie back in the day (Fight the Future from 1998, not the second one) I was really excited. My friends and I were going to see this movie, no question. It just so happened that this movie was part of a double header at the local theater with a relatively unknown movie, There's Something About Mary

Yeah, we had the Internet in our college apartment at this time, but I don't remember there being too many sites that would leak info about upcoming movies. If there were, we were definitely too lazy to check them out. Now we check out most movies before we go see them using all sorts of movie sites. Casting news about movies coming out in 18 months seems to blow up Twitter. My point is, we knew literally nothing about this movie. I barely knew who Ben Stiller was. Hell, we hadn't even seen any trailers for this movie. 

But, wow, was I surprised. I can't remember laughing more at any other movie than I did at There's Something About Mary. Somebody in this theater was literally going to piss themselves. I prayed that it wasn't going to be me. So many memorable scenes: Warren fighting with Ted, Ted's zipper incident, Dom's craziness, that chick from Night Court - and that's pretty much just the first act. I had to re-watch the movie later to see what Ted and Mary were talking about when Mary had the 'stuff' in her hair. There was just too much laughing in the theater. No one saw that coming. Later I saw that scene in the trailer, and I thought it was a shame. High quality cinematography like that needs to be kept a secret.


Something tells me this can only end badly.

So, after that amazingly funny experience, we got to see the X-Files movie. I thought it was pretty good. I'm glad it tied in with the TV series. It was cool to watch the next season because the first episode started right after the movie.

I'm pleasantly surprised that we went out on a limb and saw a movie we knew almost nothing about. Even with all sorts of websites and tweets available, I still think it's important to take a chance sometimes. That's how we found Hot Tub Time Machine.

Fun fact: W. Earl Brown who played Warren also played Dan Dority in Deadwood. Two extremely different characters. He was also in an episode of the X-Files. It's all circular.

I still believe.
- Dapper


No comments:

Post a Comment