Monday, November 26, 2012

Surely you can't forget that moment? I can't...and don't call me Shirley.

For some reason or another there are certain movie watching moments that stick with me forever.

The Ring!  The effing Ring!


So, if you've seen this movie, you know that some grayscale dead chick comes out of the TV and kills people after they watch a VHS tape. I know, I know. There is also lots of disturbing imagery and general creepiness. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to see this movie by myself in my apartment on a pitch black night, just like tonight.  Okay, kidding. But yes, it was night. I remember the day well, it was gray and just on the verge of raining. I had been listening to Sing The Sorrow by AFI on repeat for a few hours. After the stage was set, I put in the DVD and hit play. I thought it was a pretty good movie overall. It was also cute how I thought I was going to get some sleep after watching it. I was on high alert, seeing shapes move in my peripherals, hearing unexplained noises everywhere, picturing that lady combing her hair in the mirror.  Terrible! The worst part? I had a small TV at the foot of my bed. Perfect placement for some angry pre-teen to jump out and eat my soul.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective



I got this for my sixteenth birthday on VHS. It was newly released and since this was before the existence of the Internet, I didn't know anything about it. I had seen that weird looking guy on In Living Color before, but that's about it. My family didn't go to the theater very often either. No MTV. No, we were not on the cutting edge of pop culture, but I digress. I remember crying and almost passing out after the first 10 minutes. So many memorable moments and quotable lines. My friend Heath watched it with me on the second viewing and I laughed just as hard that time too. He was probably very curious after he saw me reenacting scenes from the movie. Just picture someone laughing hysterically while having a seizure. It was pretty much like that.

The Matrix


Back in the day, the special effects from this movie were amazing. It still is pretty cool even today. I remember seeing this in the theater on opening day with some college friends. We were blown away by the story and the visuals. I bought this movie to test my new TV, DVD player and surround sound system. I think I paid about $450 for that damn player. Now it sits in my basement and collects dust. I digress again. Really, the main reason me and my friends liked the movie is that secretly, deep down, we all wanted to be Neo and learn kung fu.

Bonus Round!

So I mentioned earlier that I tie that AFI album in with watching The Ring. There are some other albums that are forever linked with moments in my life.

Blaze by Lagwagon.



I listened to this album whilst cruising the West Virginia backroads on my way to see Jesse in my Honda Civic. I took a scenic route to see the poor mining towns for some reason. Kinda sad. Oh well, moving on.

Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails


I carted my friend Andy's ass to high school every day during senior year. He loaned me this album on cassette. I still have it today. I am pretty sure he thought that was his payment for gas money. I just let this tape loop over and over again. Every goddamn day to school and back. I don't know why I didn't put in something else. Oh yeah, my other tape was Heartbeat City by The Cars, that's why. I'm still sick of those NIN songs.

So soak it in movie fans. Take the time to notice the world around you. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment