Saturday, February 2, 2013

Don't blog angry!

How can anyone be angry on Groundhog Day? The sights! The sounds! The insanity! [True, it is insane. How much peyote was necessary to come up with this idea?] And since Phil predicted an early spring this morning, it won't be too long before I am released from this frozen Hell. 

1993 was a crazy year. Groundhog Day was released - officially changing the "holiday" forever. I was a Freshman in high school. I was shedding all of that stupid kid crap and becoming an adult. Well, that's what I thought anyway. I don't think I became an adult until sometime in my late twenties. When I think back, there are very few days from my high school years that I would want to repeat and repeat over and over again. 

However, I can think of several days from the summer after high school. You see, I spent most of those days hanging out with my friends, doing nerd stuff, eating shitty food and pretty much abandoning all forms of responsibility. I know what you are thinking - what about money? Did you just mooch off your parents like some loser? Nope, we had that covered. Our fearless team individually contracted with a seed corn company to detassel corn on our own. We had officially hit the big time! Walk a mile through a corn field, then hackey sack at the end - hit repeat. And making bank in the process. [Don't know what detasseling is? I'll have to tell you about it sometime.]

Bill Murray is an icon. Here are my favorite characters he has played. Honestly, there are just too many to mention. But here are my absolute four six favorite.

Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters I and II




Steve Zissou, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou


Bob Harris, Lost in Translation


Raleigh St. Clair, The Royal Tenenbaums


Herman Blume, Rushmore


Ernie McCracken, Kingpin




Honorable Mention: Walt Bishop from Moonrise Kingdom. Go out and see this movie now if you haven't already.

Time waits for no one. Get busy living, or get busy dying. Unless you're stuck in an endless loop, then just take that time to learn French and polish up on your chainsaw ice sculpture skills. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment