Friday, November 15, 2013

I love poetry, and a glass of scotch, and, of course, my friend Lovecraft here.

A few weeks ago I was reading a lot of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft. That man knows how to turn on the creepiness. He's so descriptive and patient enough to draw you in slowly and keep you engaged. The stories aren't very long, so you get to the frightful ending in a relatively short time. I was doing some research, and I realized that I don't think I've really watched any movie that was based on his work. It looks like most of them are kind of cheesy horror movies. Maybe I'm wrong. I will add Re-Animator to my massive Netflix queue though. Hell, it could be there already for all I know, my queue is still out of control.

Lovecraft was a pioneer of "horror fiction" or "weird fiction" but never popular during his lifetime. One of his best known works is "The Call of Cthulhu" published in 1928. I love reading his stories because they don't seem like they were written decades ago.

Is it time for a large production of one of his best works? Or would that ruin the feel? I will just have to bang out a script over the weekend and see where it takes me. I think the best thing to do is to lock myself in the basement with the lights off. A single candle burning in the distance casting curious shadows everywhere would be a nice touch to get the creative juices flowing.


This could be a difficult casting decision.


Creepy time.
- Dapper

No comments:

Post a Comment