Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Hail to the king, Balls.

I remember having my grunge wardrobe picked apart by my co-worker on my first day on the job when I was a college freshman. I had been at school for about five days. He wasn't brutal, but it was enough to make me wish I would have given up on flannel my last day of high school. He was an art major, so maybe that explains it. Black t-shirt and jeans. An entire wardrobe summed up with just two items.

I thought that I was pretty cool for having seen Army of Darkness in high school and was able to quote much of the film. This co-worker of mine, let's call him Balls, had also seen the movie and claimed to be a bigger fan than me. We watched it at one of his frat house parties. Now, get all of those images of Animal House out of your mind. These guys were into comic books, films, The X Files, board games...I don't think I need to continue. As you may have guessed, I was in friendly territory. Mostly. Believe me, there is still a lot of one-upmanship among film geeks. What's worse? When we sent to see Romeo + Juliet with Balls' theater geek friends. Almost unbearable.


They're not taking us to the pit...they're taking us to a lecture on iambic pentameter. 

While the flannel has disappeared, Army of Darkness still remains one of my go-to movies when I need a distraction.

- Dapper

No comments:

Post a Comment