Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Kip, I reckon...you know a lot about...cyberspace? You ever come across anything...like time travel? Easy, I've already blogged about it.

Welp, Blockbuster decided to close up shop today. End of an era I suppose. I'm old enough to remember renting the original NES console along with the damn video game. I did this until I could save up the $80 required to buy a system from KB Toys.

It's funny to think that Quentin Tarantino got started in a video store. Kevin Smith also shot Clerks in the video and convenience stores that he worked. I remember seeing this classic as a teenager and was instantly blown away. I just loved the dialogue and the raw, independent look of the movie.

But while these stores served a purpose at one time, I think we're in a better place now. These were great places to get some movie advice from some film geek, movie nerd, or part time adult movie connoisseur. But now with the Internet, any idiot with opinions can blog about movies (should I maybe rephrase that?). Sites like YouTube and Vimeo allow a wannabe filmmaker to distribute their creations. Hell, you can create a whole damn movie on the phone in your pocket. Technology is wonderful.

So, what's my point? I don't think I have a point. I think it's just interesting how technology changes the arts and other creative endeavors. Now I'm going to see what's on Netflix.

Oh yeah, one of my favorite scenes:



- Dapper

No comments:

Post a Comment